The Primary Election:
- Mark your calendar to vote in the Democratic primary, Tuesday, June 13, 2017! That is next week, so don’t forget!
- If you can’t be here to vote on the 13th, you can vote absentee during regular business hours this week, M-F, 8:00 – 5:00, or on Saturday from 8:00 to 5:00, at the Registrar’s Office at City Hall on Lee Street in Bristol. Thank you to General Registrar Penny Limburg for staying open so folks can vote on Saturday the 10th!
- For Governor: Lt. Governor Ralph Northam and Tom S. Perriello are both seeking nomination for Governor. Both are excellent candidates! Take a look at their information in advance of the voting on Tuesday, June 13th to make your decision.
- For Lt. Governor: Justin E. Fairfax, Gene J. Rossi, and Susan S. Platt, again all good candidates. Their platforms are a bit different, so take a few minutes to look at them and make your decision.
- Attorney General Mark Herring, who’s record of success for Virginia citizens is excellent, is running for re-election. He is unopposed in the Primary, so he will not be on the Primary ballot, but will need your vote in the General Election later!
Border Bash is under way in downtown Bristol
- Check our on-line calendar at http://www.bristolvademocrats.org/calendar to see the dates and locations. These occur on Friday evenings in the summer, and you can come downtown in Bristol to enjoy the vendors, food, and free music! The Bristol Virginia Democrats will be present from 6:30 to about 8:30 – we will talk with visitors and distribute information until it gets dark, and then we will close up and go listen to the band!
Our regular meetings this month:
- June 12th: Our Committee Meeting, Monday June 12th, at 7:00 to 8:00 p.m., at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse, 497 Cumberland St., in Bristol, VA.
- June 17th: Our breakfast is Saturday, June 17th, at 9:00 a.m. at the Golden Corral, Exit 7 in Bristol. Good conversation, no agenda. Attendees pay separately for breakfast. Join us in the reserved meeting room. Tell the cashier that you are with the Democrats for directions to the meeting space.
- June 19th: The TN-VA Democratic Social is at the State Line Bar and Grille in downtown Bristol Monday, June 19th, at around 5:00 p.m. This is a social event for Democrats and friends in the surrounding area. It is a good way to meet Democrats on the Committee and talk about the issues.
Remember! June 13 is Primary Day!
Polls will be open from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Vote!
The Nominating Caucus scheduled for May 18th at 6:30 p.m. has been cancelled. Our candidates for nomination at the deadline for filing with us at 4:00 today have been named our Nominees. We are happy to announce the nomination of Cloe Eva Barker for Commissioner of the Revenue, and Joe R. Mink for Sheriff. Our candidates will be on the ballot November 7, 2017, and we encourage Bristol residents to come out and vote for them! We will have more information about them posted soon!
Here is our calendar for May. Lots of work to do, so make this the month that you come out to one of our events and say hello!
Our regular meetings this month:
- May 8 – Our Committee Meeting, Monday May 8th, at 7:00 to 8:00 p.m., at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse, 497 Cumberland St., in Bristol, VA. We will have information about the Nominating Caucus for the Nov. 7, 2017 election. Folks interested in runningfor Constitutional Offices and voting members please attend!
- May 15 – The TN-VA Democratic Social is at the State Line Bar and Grille in downtown Bristol Monday, May 15th, at around 5:00 p.m. This is an informal social gathering of Democrats and friends from Bristol and Sullivan County TN and Bristol VA and the surrounding area.
- May 20 – Our breakfast is Saturday, May 20th at 9:00 a.m. at the Golden Corral, Exit 7 in Bristol. Good conversation, no agenda. Attendees pay separately for breakfast, and join us in the reserved meeting room. Tell the cashier that you are with the Democrats for directions to the meeting space.
Special this month: Caucus for nomination of candidates for Constitutional Offices in Bristol that are on the ballot for the November 7, 2017 General Election. These include Sheriff, Commonwealth’s Attorney, Treasurer, and Commissioner of the Revenue.
- May 17 – Deadline at 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 17, 2017, for turning in Candidate forms for the Nominating Caucus on Thursday, May 18. Instructions for submission of this form are available using the Call to Caucus tab on the menu above.
- May 18 – Nominating Caucus Thursday, May 18th, 2017 – All Democrats registered to vote in the City of Bristol, VA, are invited to attend the Bristol Virginia Democratic Committee Caucus at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m. for registration and close promptly at 7:00 p.m. Persons in line to register at 7:00 p.m. will be admitted for registration, and the Caucus will assemble when registrations are completed.
- More information along with Participant and Candidate for Nomination forms are available using the Call to Caucus tab.
Also Special this month: Absentee voting has already begun for the June 13th Primary Election.
We need to select our candidate for Governor and Lt. Governor, so this is important! Stop by the Registrar’s Office (City Hall, on Lee Street) and vote if you are not going to be here in Bristol to vote on June 13th. Hope that you are following the candidates and making a decision about the Primary. If there is any part of the process that you have questions about, or if you need information on the candidates, contact us!
Dates for the Primary:
- Ongoing through May – Absentee Voting for the June Primary. If you will be unable to come to the polls on Primary Day June 13th, stop by the Registrar’s Office at City Hall, 300 Lee Street, Bristol, VA., and complete an application to vote absentee. Make sure your vote is counted.
- May 22 – Close of registration for the Primary. If you want to vote in the June Primary, your registration must be received by the Registrar, or postmarked if sent by mail, by close of business at 5:00 p.m. on May 22.
- June 6 – Deadline to request a mail absentee ballot. The Absentee application must be received by the Registrar by closing at 5:00 p.m. on June 6.
- June 10 – Last day to vote absentee in-person at the Registrar’s Office in Bristol. The office will be open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- June 13 – Primary Day! Polls will be open from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Hope to see all members at the May Committee meeting, and many more friends and supporters at Breakfast and at the Social!
All Democrats registered to vote in Bristol, VA, are invited to attend the Bristol Virginia Democratic Committee Caucus on Thursday, May 18, 2017, at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse. The Caucus is for nomination of candidates for Constitutional Offices that are on the ballot for the November 7, 2017 General Election. These include Sheriff, Commonwealth’s Attorney, Treasurer, and Commissioner of the Revenue.
Each caucus participant must complete and submit a Participant registration form at the registration desk, where forms will be available. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m. for registration and close promptly at 7:00 p.m. Persons in line to register at 7:00 p.m. will be admitted for registration, and the Caucus will assemble when registrations are completed.
Persons seeking Democratic nomination for one of the local offices on the Nov. 7, 2017, ballot must pre-file a Candidate for Nomination form indicating the office for which nomination is requested. Candidate forms must be returned with all information and original signature by 4:00 p.m. May 17, 2017, to Carl Williams, 710 Piedmont Ave., Bristol, VA.
More information as well as Participant and Candidate for Nomination forms are available from the committee website at bristolvademocrats.org. For more information, or to make arrangements to pick up or turn in forms, call Carl Williams, 276-591-3355.
The deadline for candidate filings having passed, we have 4 candidates for the two delegate positions, and will have the Caucus tomorrow.
Please read the Call to Caucus carefully so that your registration and filing are accurate and on time. Here are the registration and pre-filing highlights, but read the Call at 2017BVDCCall_Delegates_to9th for complete information!
- Both forms may be downloaded, but must bear an original signature to be valid.
- The Participant form, 2017participant_9th can be filled out at the Caucus. If you want to complete it and e-mail it early, I will print it and have it at the Registration table for you to sign. It is not valid without an original signature!
- The Candidate form, 2017candidate_9th has a deadline at 4:00 on the day before the Caucus, and must be received according to the instructions in the Call, 2017BVDCCall_Delegates_to9th. You have to complete and pre-file this form to have your name on the ballot as a candidate for Delegate to the Ninth District Convention.
Democrats registered to vote in Bristol, VA, are invited to caucus at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, April 27th, 2017, at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse, 497 Cumberland St., Bristol, VA. At the Caucus, we will elect two (2) delegates to the 2017 Reorganization Convention of the Ninth Congressional District Democratic Committee, currently scheduled for May 20th, 2017.
Registration begins at 6:30 p.m. Doors will close at 7:00 p.m., and persons in line to register at 7:00 p.m. will be admitted for registration. The Caucus will begin when registrations are completed.
Only those present and registered at the caucus will be permitted to vote in the selection of delegates.
If you want to be a delegate, you must pre-file a candidate application. Delegates will be chosen by secret ballot from those who have pre-filed an Application for Election as Delegate to 2017 Reorganization Convention of the Ninth Congressional District Democratic Committee. This application form can be viewed/saved as a .pdf file under the Call to Caucus tab on the menu above. Completed Applications must be returned with all information and original signature according to the instructions in the Call to Caucus, with a submission deadline of 4:00 p.m. April 26th, the day before the Caucus.
This Caucus will be cancelled if the number of pre-filed candidates is equal to two (2) at the submission deadline, and the two candidates will be declared Delegates.