Lots of activity in August! Come out and enjoy the excitement at our regular events, plus four opportunities to meet with Virginia Democrats and Candidates! Rick Boucher will be back for three events in the Ninth in August! Events are listed below.
Tennessee has early voting now in progress. Mary Mancini of the Tennessee Democratic Party reported in her e-mail that “Democraticearly voting turnouthas increased 28%in Tennessee! Williamson County saw an increase of Democratic turnout of 350%. Blount County, a 260% increase. Sumner, 182%. Henderson, 57%.”
Families and workers, as well as businesses in Tennessee and in Virginia are being hurt by GOP policies, and voters are responding. Check your calendar, check your voter registration, and make sure your vote counts in the November General Election 2018. Election Day is November 6th, 2018.
Virginia does not have early voting, but in Virginia you can vote absentee if you will be out of town on Election Day, or if you are for some reason unable to get to the polls. Please respond to this newsletter if you need information about voting absentee in Bristol Virginia.
Bristol Virginia has two strong Democrats on the ballot, Tim Kaine for Senate and Anthony Flaccavento for Congress. Anthony will hold a Town Hall meeting in Bristol on Monday, August 6th, at 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. at Warehouse 817 Event Space, 817 State Street. Don’t miss this important opportunity, included in the event listing below. Be sure to check in on both candidate web pages, linked above, and let them know you are behind them by adding your name to the volunteer list and making a contribution.
If you need a yard sign for the candidates,request one by reply to this e-mail. We have a few signs for Anthony, and we will be getting signs for Tim soon. You can also pick up signs at the Highlands Democratic Resource Center. The Resource Center is an initiative to help surrounding County Committees and Candidates with organizing and is located at 407 E. Main St., Abingdon.
Our Calendar for August 2018, Special events highlighted:
- Saturday, August 4: Boucher + Flacc, Swing #2. Former Congressman Rick Boucher will join Anthony Flaccavento for a swing visit through Russell, Wise, and Dickenson Counties.“Come out and join in the excitement, hear Rick and Anthony speak, and put your two cents in.” Locations:
- RUSSELL: Lebanon High School, 105 Charles C. Long Dr., Lebanon VA; 9:00-10:30 am
- WISE: EconoLodge Inn & Suites Norton, 551 Hwy. 58 East, Norton VA; noon-1:30 pm
- DICKENSON: Dickenson Center for Education, 818 Happy Valley Dr., Clintwood, VA; 3:00-4:30 pm
- Monday, August 6: Bristol Town Hall with Anthony Flaccavento, Candidate for Virginia Ninth District Congressional Representative, at 6:30 to 8:00 p.m., Warehouse 817 Event Space, 817 State Street, Bristol, VA. Come and get to know Anthony and his vision for Southwest Virginia. Share your concerns and ideas for your community. Make your voice heard. I have attended two of Anthony’s Town Hall events, and he provides plenty of time for interaction, questions and comments from folks who attend.Don’t miss this opportunity in Bristol!
- Monday, August13:Committee Meeting at 7:00 to 8:00 p.m., at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse, 497 Cumberland St., in Bristol, VA. All Democrats registered to vote in Bristol Virginia are welcome and are invited to attend even if you are not a member of the committee. (Note: this meeting is regularly scheduled on the second Monday of the month, so you can set a recurring calendar reminder!)
- Saturday Morning, August18: Breakfast with Democrats, at 9:00 a.m.at the Golden Corral, Exit 7 in Bristol, Virginia. Guests welcome. Attendees pay separately for breakfast. Invite your friends to come out and join us at breakfast! (Note: this meeting is regularly scheduled on the third Saturday of the month.)
- Saturday Evening, August18: Kingsolver + McCutcheon Fundraiserat 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at the Wytheville Meeting Center, 333 Community Blvd, Wytheville, VA 24382. Join Barbara Kingsolver and John McCutcheon for a night of reading and music in support of Anthony Flaccavento for Congress! “Barbara Kingsolver is the author of 15 books and recipient of multiple awards, including The Orange Prize for Fiction and the National Humanities Medal. John McCutcheon is a Grammy nominated folk musician and producer with a demonstrated commitment to grassroots. Kingsolver will read from her unpublished novel, Unsheltered! Attendees will also have the chance to bid on two advance copies of Unsheltered!”
- Monday, August20: TN-VA Democratic Social at around 5:00 p.m.at the State Line Bar and Grille, 644 E. State St., Bristol, TN, 37620. This is an informal meeting of Democrats, Progressives, Liberals, and our political friends and cousins from both Bristols and the surrounding area. Attendees order and pay for food and/or drinks individually. Come out and meet Democrats! (Note: this meeting is regularly scheduled on the third Monday of the month.)
- Sunday, August 26: Acres of Democrats at 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Wytheville Meeting Center, 333 Community Blvd, Wytheville, VA 24382.
See you somewhere in August!