I usually send the calendar only to the e-mail distribution list, but two servers rejected the July calendar for “spam content.” Since the bounced message did not specify what was “spam,” I am posting the calendar message here. Let me know if you like to see it posted on the web page, and I will continue to post in the future. Remember you can see our calendar on the tab above!
The Jefferson-Jackson Weekend is coming up, and here in Bristol we are enjoying Border Bash and the early weeks of the State and local campaigns for office. I hope that you will join us for some of the activities and events listed below.
There was a small turnout for the Primary, but I am happy with the candidates. Part of the low turnout may have been a lack of urgency, since most of us had a difficult time deciding between two great candidates.
One bad effect of low voter turnout is that it supports the idea that the state ends at Roanoke. We need to do something out here to put ourselves on the map, and the best way to do that is to campaign and vote! Three things to do:
- Put November 5th on your calendar to remind you to vote.
- Get to know our candidates so that you can persuade others to come out and vote for them. Democrats campaign on the issues, so inform yourself on the issues and talk to your friends about our great candidates! Find out what Terry McAuliffe , Ralph Northam, and Mark Herring are talking about on the issues important to you and to people across the Commonwealth.
- Do something for the coordinated campaign or for one of our candidates – make phone calls, knock on doors, rally, and donate. You can contact your local committee – in Bristol that is me – to volunteer, or go to the candidate’s website and sign up.
Here is the Calendar for July:
- Thursday, July 4, 2013 – Border Bash is changing days and times to be a part of the Star-Spangled 4th of July Celebration in Cumberland Square Park. You can download the official complete schedule of events for the weekend – July 3-5. We will set up in Cumberland Square Park early because the parade begins at 5:00 p.m. Border Bash starts at 6:00 p.m. as usual.
- Monday, July 8, 2013, at 7:00-8:00 p.m. Regular monthly meeting of BVDC at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse, 497 Cumberland St. Bristol, VA. We will hear from folks who attended the JJ Weekend!
- Monday, July 15, 2013, around 5 to 7 p.m. — Bristol TN/VA Social at the State Line Bar and Grill in downtown Bristol, for Democrats from Sullivan County TN and Bristol VA, friends and guests.
- Friday, July 19, 2013 – Border Bash! This event will be held in Cumberland Square Park. I will post more information about this change when I receive it.
- Saturday, July 20, 2013, at 9:00-10:00 a.m. — Regular monthly breakfast – The Golden Corral at Exit 7 in Bristol, VA. Tell the cashier that you are with the Democrats for a discount on breakfast. Come and enjoy breakfast with us!
I will send information regarding candidate visits in the region as I hear from the campaigns.
Don’t hesitate to call or send e-mail if you need more information on any activity or event, or if you have questions about the campaigns, candidates, or issues.
Remember: Virginia needs Medicaid Expansion 1)The health care sector, businesses, and households in Virginia all stand to benefit more if the state opts in than if it opts out. 2)The total economic impact (direct and ripple effects of healthcare, business, and household sectors) from opting in is an annual average $3.9 billion and 30,821 jobs from 2014 to 2019, more than four times the economic impact of opting out of the expansion. (From the Chmura Economic Impact Study on Virginia Medicaid Expansion, commissioned by the Virginia Hospital & Healthcare Association.)