October is here, and we know that November is coming! We need to be ready for Election Day on November 7th. If you cannot be present to vote in your precinct on Election Day, be sure to vote absentee at the office of the General Registrar of Voters, 300 Lee Street in Bristol, Virginia. In-person absentee voting is in progress during the regular business office hours at the Registrar’s office.
If you will be in town on Election Day, we count on you to VOTE. Also, we hope that you will be involved in our activities at the polls. We need poll workers to hand out literature and sample ballots, and as usual we will be providing rides to the polls. Join us to support our candidates in this important election! Reply to this e-mail and let us know you want to volunteer on Election Day, and we will put you in touch with our organizer for poll workers and rides to the polls.
Remember to pay attention to our candidates, look at their positions on the issues, and contribute even a small amount to let them know that you are here. The state candidates, Northam, Fairfax, and Herring, are important to keeping our health care and protecting education and workers in Virginia. Our local candidates, Cloe Eva and Joe, are talented individuals with the skills and knowledge for the tasks of the offices they seek, and are the folks we need in these important Bristol positions.
State and Local Democrats on the Nov. 7 ballot in Bristol, Virginia:
- Ralph S. Northam for Governor of Virginia
- Justin E. Fairfax for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- Mark R. Herring for Attorney General of Virginia
- Cloe Eva Barker for Bristol Commissioner of Revenue
- Joe R. Mink for Bristol Sheriff
Our scheduled meetings in October:
- Monday, October 9:The Committee will meet at 6:00 for dinner, with meeting to follow at 7:00, at the Shang Hai Restaurant, 711 State Street in Bristol VA. The menu will be limited, as the Shang Hai is opening on Monday just for us! So please put this on your calendar and attend. This is the last meeting before the election, so we will be taking care of last minute details.
- Thursday, October 12: Washington County Democratic Committee Meeting at 6 p.m. atThe Southwest Virginia 4H Center, 25236 Hillman Highway, Abingdon, VA 24210. More information is on their website at www:WashCoVADems.org
- Monday, October 16: TN-VA Democratic Social at around 5:00 p.m. at the State Line Bar and Grille, 644 E. State St., Bristol, TN, 37620. This is an informal meeting of Democrats, Progressives, Liberals, and our political friends and cousins. Attendees order and pay for food and drinks individually, but the conversation is free.
- Thursday, October 19: Bristol Virginia voters are invited to a Meet & Greet with Cloe Eva Barker, candidate for Bristol Virginia Commissioner of Revenue, and Joe R. Mink, candidate for Bristol Virginia Sheriff, Thursday October 19th, 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., in the J. Henry Kegley Meeting Room at the Bristol Public Library, 701 Goode Street, Bristol, Virginia. These candidates will be on the ballot in the General Election November 7th in Bristol. Both candidates will present short introductions, and afterward voters may speak with them personally. Light refreshments and voter information will be available.
- Saturday, October 21: Breakfast with Democrats, at 9:00 a.m. at the Golden Corral, Exit 7 in Bristol, Virginia. Good food, great conversation, no agenda, guests welcome. Attendees pay separately for breakfast.
Virginia State Candidates:
- Ralph S. Northam for Governor
- Justin E. Fairfax for Lieutenant Governor
- Mark R. Herring for Attorney General
Bristol Virginia Local Candidates – Be sure to attend our Meet & Greet for these local candidates, October 19th, listed above!
- Cloe Eva Barker for Commissioner of Revenue
- Joe R. Mink for Sheriff
Hope to see many of you in October, at the Meet & Greet, and on Election Day November 7th.