March is here!
It is time to check your voter registration if you have changed addresses or need to update any of your voter registration information. You can check or update your information, find out who is on the ballot, and get lots more information about elections at Virginia Department of Elections. We have three elections this year, two elections before the big one in November. Those elections are important, so be sure they are on your calendar!
- Local election on May 1, 2018, with three seats on City Council and 3 seats on the School Board open. April 9, 2018, is the deadline to register to vote in the Local Election.
- Primary election on June 12, 2018. May 21, 2018 is the deadline to register to vote in the Primary. The primary is the election in which Democrats and Republicans will choose their candidates for the November General Election. Democrats have two people on the ballot in the primary, Anthony Flaccavento and Justin Santopietro. The winner will be on the ballot for the Virginia Ninth District seat in the U.S. House of Representatives currently held by Morgan Griffith. You can find these folks on Facebook, or meet them personally at two more forums, March 24 (Martinsville, Carmen Forman moderator), and April 21 (Wytheville, David Bailey moderator). In addition, there are many events scattered around the district, as Justin and Anthony are both working very hard to meet you. Visit their websites and take a look at their calendars to find an event near you. Here is their contact information on line:
- Anthony Flaccavento Make a donation or volunteer here. Anthony has visited the Bristol Virginia committee, and has scheduled an open house for his campaign HQ in Abingdon on Tuesday, March 6th, at 188 E. Main, across from the Washington County Courthouse. Open House is scheduled from 11am-1 pm and 5pm-7pm. For more information, visit the link above or call (276) 781-6742. You are all invited to the Open House!
- Justin Santopietro Make a donation or volunteer here. Justin will be present at our next meeting of the Bristol Virginia Committee, Monday, March 12 at 7:00 to 8:00 p.m., at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse, 497 Cumberland St., in Bristol, VA. You are invited to attend and bring your friends who are voters in the Virginia 9th District.
New in our Virginia 9th District: Highlands Democratic Resource Center, 407 E. Main St., Abingdon, VA, 24210. Open House for the new Resource Center is March 11, 2018, at 3:00 p.m., hosted by Washington County Virginia Democrats and Scott County Democratic Party. You are invited!
Here are our regular Bristol events for March 2018:
- Monday, March 12: Committee Meeting at 7:00 to 8:00 p.m., at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse, 497 Cumberland St., in Bristol, VA. Bristol VA Democrats are encouraged to attend, even if you are not members. Agenda: At this meeting Justin Santopietro speak and respond to questions. If you have not met Justin, please come out and get to know him. His name will be on the ballot in the Democratic Primary, June 12, 2018. New agenda items may be added before the meeting date..
- Saturday, March 17: Breakfast with Democrats, at 9:00 a.m. at the Golden Corral, Exit 7 in Bristol, Virginia. Good food, great conversation, no agenda, guests welcome. Attendees pay separately for breakfast. Check the Facebook page near the date to see if there will be special guests.
- Monday, March 19: TN-VA Democratic Social at around 5:00 p.m. at the State Line Bar and Grille, 644 E. State St., Bristol, TN, 37620. This is an informal meeting of Democrats, Progressives, Liberals, and our political friends and cousins. Attendees order and pay for food and/or drinks individually, but the conversation is free.
Come out and join us in March!