October is here! Soon we will be trick or treating and getting that Thanksgiving turkey and the Christmas ham. Meanwhile, here are a couple of items for your attention, followed as usual by our regular Committee calendar and an invitation to join us.
- Senator Tim Kaine will be in Southwest Virginia tomorrow, Saturday Oct. 5th at at 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. at the Wytheville Meeting Center, 333 Community Blvd Wytheville, VA, to support an exciting candidate For Virginia House of Delegates District 4, Dr. Starla Kiser. This event is sponsored by John and Linda DiYorio. Note from the invitation: “It’s time to take back the 9th and this fierce, educated, local woman becoming our next delegate is a big first step. She is smart and compassionate, and cares deeply about the people she serves. Dr. Starla Kiser graduated Harvard Medical School and earned a Master’s in Public Administration at the Harvard Kennedy School, then returned to her native Southwest Virginia to be of service.” Come to the event if you can, and if you cannot be present please visit Starla’s website https://www.kiserfordelegate.com follow her, and make a contribution to her campaign.
- Thanks to David McGee, staff writer for the Bristol Herald Courier, for this post on Facebook. If you are concerned about jail overcrowding, please respond and plan to attend. Here is the post: “What questions would you ask regarding jail overcrowding in Bristol Virginia and Sullivan County? The BHC is currently soliciting questions from the public for our Critical Mass Town Hall on Wed. Oct. 9. The 7 p.m. event will be in the Sullivan County commission room and include a panel of six: Sullivan Sheriff Jeff Cassidy, Jail Administrator Lee Carswell, Mayor Richard Venable and Attorney General Barry Staubus, plus Bristol Virginia Sheriff David Maples and City Manager Randy Eads. You may submit your questions here, PM me or email me at email@example.com. Thanks in advance.” https://www.facebook.com/events/2096666957306553/
- The regular meeting of the BVDC for the second Tuesday has been rescheduled for the following Thursday, October 17th at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse. This meeting is special because we will be announcing plans for the reorganization and acceptance of new members to be held in December. Click here to see our post on reorganization.
- If you are registering voters, be sure you have completed the online tutorial and are following the law relative to voter registration.
- In-person absentee voting for the upcoming November 5th election is currently open at the Director of Elections/Voter Registration office at City Hall in Bristol Virginia. Open regular business hours Monday thru Friday, and two Saturdays, October 26th and November 2nd.
- Sample ballot for Bristol VA November 5th election.
- Tim Kaine/Starla Kiser event in Wytheville, Saturday, October 5th – News item above.
- Change of Date: Committee Meeting, Thursday, October 17th, at 7:00 to 8:00 p.m., at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse, 497 Cumberland St., in Bristol, VA. Democrats registered to vote in Bristol Virginia are represented by the committee, and are encouraged to attend, become involved in committee activities, and help support our candidates. Reorganization announcement is on the agenda.
- Breakfast with Democrats, Saturday, October 19th, at 9:00 a.m. at the Golden Corral, Exit 7 in Bristol, VA. Guests are welcome. Attendees order and pay individually. Join us for breakfast, coffee, and conversation!
- TN-VA State Line Social, Monday, October 21st, at around 5:00 p.m. at the State Line Bar and Grille, 644 E. State St., Bristol, TN, 37620. This is an informal meeting. Attendees order and pay individually. Progressives, Liberals, and our political friends and cousins from both Bristols and the surrounding area are welcome.
Hope to see you in October!