The Bristol Virginia Committee Reorganization for 2020-2021 had a small but faithful attendance, one or two new members along with returning members. We welcome into office and congratulate our new Chair, Rev. Jackie Nophlin, and wish her well as she assumes this role. Bernard Via returned as Vice Chair, Robert Bruce returned as Treasurer, and Kimberly Willis returned as Secretary. Welcome and congratulations to all of our 2020-2021 officers, and a warm welcome for new and returning members!
A word about membership: Local committees are composed of those who come, and committees are sustained by those who are passionate about issues and willing to work. We need and welcome new members to help with the work that needs to be done, and we hope that you will come out and lend your voice and your hands. Essential elements that you would bring to the committee as an active member include your viewpoint and your passion for the issues that are critical to you personally. For example, most of our members are over 50, and this means that we have fewer people who are starting families and raising children, struggling with student debt and other financial burdens, and uncertain of their security in the near term as well as later in retirement. We have memories and empathy, but not the active voice of young working people who are trying to get a foothold. Young families joining our committee would mean more hands for the work, but even more critically, it would mean more voices to bring political issues home to the personal experience of people. Those voices are the strength of democracy and of Democrats, that we hear and consider many viewpoints and work toward a plan that serves everyone.
There are three elections in Bristol in 2020, maybe even four!
- Democrats Presidential Primary March 3, 2020.
- General Election May 5, 2020 (School Board and City Council)
- June Primary (if needed)
- General Election November 3, 2020 (Presidential election)
Here is a link to official information on all elections in Bristol. Keep this link at hand in this busy election year. I have it copied to my Notes on my phone. The URL is https://www.bristolva.org/225/Elections. Our Registrar keeps this resource updated for each election, and there you can find the dates of elections, sample ballots, dates of absentee voting, etc. The website has links to downloadable forms and useful information, including your own personal voter registration status.
Calendar for January:
- Committee Meeting, Monday, January 13rd, at 7:00 to 8:00 p.m., at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse, 497 Cumberland St., in Bristol, VA. This is the regular Committee Meeting of the Bristol VA Democratic Committee. Individuals registered to vote in Bristol Virginia are represented by the committee, and are encouraged to attend, to join the committee, to be involved in committee activities, to apply for delegate status at state and national conventions, and to help support our candidates.
- Breakfast with Democrats, Saturday, January 18th, at 9:00 a.m. at the Golden Corral, Exit 7, in Bristol, VA. This is a social occasion without an agenda, and guests are welcome. Attendees order and pay individually. Join us for coffee or breakfast, and conversation with Democrats. At this event we have informative and lively discussions of issues and current events.
- TN-VA State Line Social, Monday, January 20th, at around 5:00 p.m. at the State Line Bar and Grille, 644 E. State St., Bristol, TN, 37620. This is an informal social gathering. Attendees order and pay individually. Progressives, Liberals, and our political friends and cousins from both Bristols and the surrounding area are welcome.
Hope to see you in January!