Join us at the 31st Annual Martin Luther King, Jr., Prayer Breakfast this Saturday, February 8, 2020, at 10:00 a.m. at the Holiday Inn and Convention Center, 3005 Linden Drive I-81 Exit 7, in Bristol, Virginia. Ticket prices are Adults $17.00, 12 and under $5.00. Tickets are available at the door or through John Wesley United Methodist Church. More information, including speakers, music, and dance, is on the attached flyer.
This will be the last newsletter before the Democratic Primary! The Bristol Virginia Democratic Committee has not endorsed a candidate in the March 3 Democratic Presidential Primary. We encourage Democrats to research the candidates, make their individual choices, and show up to vote. We have discussed the candidates at meetings, at the breakfast, and at other gatherings, and some in our active group have spoken in support of their favorite candidate, but we have not agreed on an endorsement.
All of us appreciate all of the good candidates who have come forward to advance democratic values in this important primary and the critical upcoming November election, and all of us have agreed that we will support the candidate nominated by the Democrats. I do not expect that the committee will issue an endorsement, but if we do, I will let you know.
We will meet three times before the Primary, on dates listed below in the Calendar for February. Members and guests are welcome to attend and share in discussions related to candidates and issues.
In-Person Absentee voting for the 2020 Democratic Presidential Primary began January 16th, 2020, and will close at 5:00 p.m. on February 29th. If you want to vote before March 3, take advantage of this extended voting opportunity. Absentee voting is now open Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the office of the Director of Elections at City Hall, 300 Lee Street in Bristol, VA. The office will also be open for absentee voting on Saturday, February 29th, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Don’t forget our Bristol elections in 2020!
- Democrats Presidential Primary March 3, 2020.
- General Election May 5, 2020 (School Board and City Council)
- June Primary (if needed)
- General Election November 3, 2020 (Presidential election)
Check your registration, especially if you have not voted in the previous election. You can use the link to official information on all elections in Bristol to check your registration. The URL is https://www.bristolva.org/225/Elections. Our Director of Elections/Registrar keeps this resource updated so you can find information about upcoming elections. The website has links to downloadable forms and useful information, including your own personal voter registration status.
Calendar for February:
- 31st Annual Martin Luther King, Jr., Prayer Breakfast this Saturday, February 8, 2020, at 10:00 a.m. at the Holiday Inn and Convention Center
- Last Day to Register to vote in the primary, Monday, February 10, 2020 if you want to vote in the March 3 Democratic Presidential Primary. If you will be 18 years of age in time for the general election in November, and you register to vote in Virginia on or before February 10th, you can vote in the March 3 Primary.
- Committee Meeting, Monday, February 10th, at 7:00 to 8:00 p.m., at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse, 497 Cumberland St., in Bristol, VA. This is the regular Committee Meeting of the Bristol VA Democratic Committee. All individuals registered to vote in Bristol Virginia are encouraged to attend.
- Breakfast with Democrats, Saturday, February 15th, at 9:00 a.m. at the Golden Corral, Exit 7, in Bristol, VA. This is a social occasion without an agenda, and guests are welcome. Attendees order and pay individually. At breakfast we usually have informative and lively discussions of issues and current events.
- TN-VA State Line Social, Monday, February 17th, at around 5:00 p.m. at the State Line Bar and Grille, 644 E. State St., Bristol, TN, 37620. This is an informal social gathering. Attendees order and pay individually. Progressives, Liberals, and our political friends and cousins from both Bristols and the surrounding area are welcome.
- Last Day to vote in-person absentee, Saturday, February 29th, 2020.
- March 3, Democratic Presidential Primary. Put this date on your calendar and be sure to vote!
Hope to see you in February!